Tax Break for Married Couples

There is a tax break for married couples from next tax year (6/4/15).  Now before you get excited it’s worth only £212 per year, but as someone once said, every little helps.

What is it?

If your spouse or civil partner earns less than £10,600 they can transfer £1,060 of their personal allowance to their higher earning partner.  That higher earning partner must not be a higher rate tax payer.

Who does it benefit?

People who give up work to bring up their family or other single income married families.  Please note you do have to have had a ceremony!

How do I know if I qualify?

You’re married or in a civil partnership.

You have income less than £10,600.

Your spouse or civil partner has annual income of between £10,601 and £42,385.

You were born after 6th April 1935.

What do I need to do?

You can register now at